Guinea-Bissau is located in the continent of Africa. It has Senegal and Mauritania to the north, Mali to the northeast, Burkina Faso to the east, Côte D’Ivoire and Liberia to the southeast, Guinea and Sierra Leone to the south, the Atlantic Ocean to the west and The Gambia to the northwest.
The capital is Bissau.
The official language is Portuguese.
The climate is generally tropical, but has two distinct seasons: the hot, rainy season from June to November, and the hot dry season from April and May.
The staple foods are rice, cassava, yams, chicken, prawns, cashew nuts, avocados and so much more (https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides/africa/guinea-bissau/food-and-drink/#:~:text=The%20food%20in%20Guinea%2DBissau,the%20seafood%20is%20very%20good).
CHILI LIME GRILLED PRAWNS (https://www.marionskitchen.com/chilli-lime-grilled-prawns/):
– 12 large raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined, heads and tails intact
– 1 long chili, finely chopped
– 2 TBSP coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped
– 2 TBSP mint leaves, finely chopped
– 1 garlic clove, finely grated
– 2 tsp fish sauce
– ¼ tsp sweet paprika
– juice of 1 lime
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 1 TBSP vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer half the marinade to a small serving bowl – you’ll use this at the end to dress the cooked prawns. Set aside.
- Place the prawns on a large tray. With the remaining half of the marinade, drizzle it over the prawns. Pop the tray back into the fridge and leave to marinate until you are ready to grill.
- Heat a BBQ grill plate on high and brush with oil.
- Grill the prawns for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle over the reserved marinade.
I could not find prawns, so used shrimp instead. Still grilled then with the same marinade and they tasted great!!
GRILLED CORN ON THE COB
Nothing quite like a grilled corn on the cob!!!
This was a great salad mix!!
BOLO À MODA DA GUINÉ BISSAU (Guinea-Bissau Style Cake) (http://travelbystove.palfreymedia.com/guinea-bissau-recipes-bolo-a-moda-da-guine-bissau-guinea-bissau-style-cake.asp):
– 1 C butter
– 1 C flour
– 1 C sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 TBSP milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add the eggs, taking care not to let them curdle.
- Now add the flour bit by bit, then the milk.
- Mix well and then transfer to a greased cake pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top becomes golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I added a chocolate drizzle to this piece. Was a good cake!!!
Here is how my overall meal turned out!!! Very delicious meal!!!