Qatar is located in the continent of Asia. It has the Persian Gulf and Iran to the north, U.A.E. to the east, Saudi Arabia to the south, Bahrain to the west and Kuwait to the northwest.
The capital is Doha.
The official language is Arabic.
The climate is hot and humid from June to September, with the spring and fall months being in April, May, October, and November.
The staple foods in Qatar are rice, chicken, fish, camel, lamb, beef, potatoes, carrots, beans, vermicelli noodles, sugar, cinnamon and so many more foods and spices (https://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/guide/traditional-qatari-dishes-you-must-try
CHICKEN MARGOUG (https://www.mahaskitchensecrets.com/recipes/2019/5/14/chicken-margoug-recipe:
- 1-1/2 lbs. (750 g) skinless chicken legs
- 2 big onions
- 1 tsp grated ginger root
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 TBSP mixed spice
- 3 cardamom
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 lumi / dried lime
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2/3 C okra
- 4 zucchinis
- 4 small aubergines (eggplant)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 big potato
- Chili pepper
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Prepare the vegetables as follows: slice the onions, cut the aubergine, potato, peppers and the zucchini into big chunks, remove the stem of the okra, deseed and dice the tomato finely.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chicken, onion, ginger, garlic, all the spices, tomato paste, fresh tomato, chopped vegetables and enough water to cover. Season with salt and add saffron strands.
- Leave to cook uncovered adding water as needed.
- Meanwhile, roll the chapati dough and cut into squares.
- When the chicken is cooked adjust the salt and drop the chapati pieces and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Here is how my Chicken Margoug turned out. I loved all the veggies and spices!!!
INDIAN CHAPATI (https://www.mahaskitchensecrets.com/recipes/2018/9/17/indian-chapati):
- 2 C chapati flour (or a super fine ground whole meal flour)
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ C water
- Place the flour in a glass bowl then add the salt and slowly add the water mixing with other hand.
- Knead for 7 to 10 minutes then wrap the ball in plastic and leave it to rest 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a sausage like shape to a diameter of 6 cm then cut it to discs 1-1/2 cm thick.
- Place on a well-floured board and roll the disc to a thickness of 2 mm.
- Place a tava or a fry pan on high heat until it becomes very hot then lower to medium heat and place the rolled chapati on it.
- When you notice little bubbles starting to form on the surface turn it over and again when you see bubbles forming again press very gently with a clean damp cloth as this encourages the bread to separate.
- When it starts to separate you have an option of placing it on direct fire for 2 seconds as this causes the air to expand rapidly and create a pocket or keep it on the tava until done.
- Serve hot.
Here is how my Chapati turned out. I really love chapati!!
MAHALABIA (Middle Eastern Milk Pudding) (https://www.hungrypaprikas.com/mahalabia/):
- 4 C or 1 L whole milk
- 7 TBSP corn starch or 12 TBSP rice flour
- ¾ ~ 1 C sugar (based on preference)
- 1 C whipping cream (optional) (If you don’t want to add it, replace with 1 cup milk).
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom or 1 TBSP orange blossom water or 1 TBSP rose water
- Pistachio for garnish (or any other nuts, shredded coconut, raisins).
- In a pot, mix the whole milk, cream, sugar, and corn starch / rice flour and whisk well until dissolved.
- Place pot on medium heat and whisk continuously for about 10 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Lower the heat to low and continue whisking for a few more minutes until thickened to a pudding consistency. Ensure you lower the heat and continue whisking so the milk does not catch the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Remove from heat and add your flavoring of choice (cardamom, orange blossom water or rose water).
- Place in small dessert cups and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
When ready to serve, garnish with nuts, coconut and / or raisins and enjoy.
I really love Mahalabia. I used orange blossom water and cardamon as my flavors! Very yummy!!!
Here is my overall meal!!