Micronesia is located in the continent of Oceania. It has Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands to the north, the Marshall Islands to the east, Kiribati, Nauru and the Solomon Islands to the southeast, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia to the south, and Palau to the far west.
The capital is Palikir, on Pohnpei.
The official language is English.
The climate is tropical, with high humidity and temperatures in the low 80’s F. Rainy season is generally from December and April.
The staples foods are taro, yam, bread-fruit, banana, coconuts, fish, pig and chicken with many more good foods (https://visit-micronesia.fm/local-food-drink/#:~:text=The%20main%20staple%20foods%20in,%2C%20shellfish%2C%20pig%20and%20chicken).
MICRONESIAN COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY (https://www.food.com/recipe/micronesian-coconut-chicken-curry-457840):
- 1 lb. chicken, cut to pieces (I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 2-3 potatoes, quartered
- 2-3 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1 big red bell pepper, cut into 1×1 cubes
- 1 big green bell pepper cut into 1×1 cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 TBSP ginger, chopped
- 2 C coconut milk (I used light and added a little extra)
- 2-3 TBSP curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional) or 1 tsp minced chili (optional)
- 4 TBSP cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, fry the cut chicken until light brown. Next fry potatoes and carrots, then set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic, onions, and ginger in cooking oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, curry powder and chili powder. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, red and green bell peppers and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
MICRONESIAN PUDDING (https://www.internationalcuisine.com/micronesian-pudding/):
- 1-2/3 C water
- 12 oz. coconut milk or evaporated condensed milk
- ¼ C butter cut into pieces
- 6 TBSP sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ C cornstarch
- 1/3 C water
- 1 baked yellow cake or pound cake from mix – follow mix directions
- Ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan combine the first six ingredients and turn the heat on medium low.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornstarch and 1/3 C water and once mixed well add it to the saucepan.
- Stir constantly for about 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat let cool and put in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Line a 9×13 pan with thin slices of pound cake or yellow cake fitting in the slices until the whole bottom of the pan is covered.
- Spread the pudding over the cake.
- Dust the cake with ground cinnamon.
- Chill covered at least one hour and serve chilled.
Cake slices should be thin about ½” thick.