Burundi is located in the continent of Africa. It has Rwanda and Uganda to the north, Kenya to the northeast, Tanzania to the east and southeast, the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the west and northwest.
The capital is Bujumbura.
The official languages are Rundi and French.
The climate is mostly tropical with the higher elevation being relatively cool and the lower elevations are a little higher. They have a dry season from May to August.
The staple foods are plantains, sweet potatoes, cassava, peas, maize, chicken, goat, bananas, pineapples, cane sugar, peanuts and much more (https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides/africa/burundi/food-and-drink/).
IBIHARAGE (Burundi) (https://www.food.com/recipe/ibiharage-burundi-484418):
- 12 oz. white navy beans
- Boiling water
- ½ C cooking oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp berbere mixed spice
- 2 tsp salt
- Put the beans in a large saucepan and cover with a volume of water that is equal to about two or three times the amount of beans. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for two or three minutes, then remove from heat.
- Cover the pot and let the beans soak for one hour. Then put back on the stove and simmer until tender.
- Alternately, you can use a pressure cooker to soften the beans.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and fry the onions until they are transparent. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the beans to the pot and cook for five minutes. Stir in the salt and the berberi spice mix. Serve immediately.
THE BEST BAKED CHICKEN LEGS (https://www.blessthismessplease.com/baked-chicken-legs/):
- 2-1/2 lbs. chicken legs (about 10 legs)
- ¾ C honey
- ½ C soy sauce
- ¼ C ketchup
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced (or 1 heaping tsp of preminced garlic).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the chicken legs out in a foil-lined baking dish with high sides (the foil is to make clean up easier—its’ not essential but helps a whole lot). A high-sided sheet pan is the best option because it has sides to keep everything in, but it is big enough that the chicken isn’t drowning in the sauce. It will caramelize best if half of the chicken is poking out of the sauce while cooking.
- In a glass measuring cup, measure out the honey, soy sauce, and ketchup. Add the minced garlic and stir. If the mixture doesn’t combine well, microwave it on high for 30 seconds and stir again. Pour the honey mixture over the chicken legs.
- Put the chicken legs in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Take the chicken out of the oven and rotate it so that the bottom that was in the sauce is now on top, out of the sauce.
- Put the legs back in the oven. Raise the heat to 425 degrees F and bake until the sauce is bubbly and starts to caramelize on the chicken legs. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve the sauce with the chicken cooked in with the meal or over rice if you’d like.
- Place all of the chicken legs in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken legs.
- Slow cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours, until the largest piece of chicken registers at 165 degrees F. on an instant read thermometer.
HEALTHY DATE, BANANA & CINNAMON CAKE (https://polkadotpassport.com/gluten-free-banana-cake-burundi-recipe/):
- 3 bananas, 2 mashed and 1 sliced
- 1/3 C coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ C coconut sugar
- 2 C almond flour
- ½ C arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ C dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ C almond flour
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 356 F. Grease and line an 8×8 baking dish with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla essence and coconut sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder and cinnamon until well combined.
- Add half the mixture to the baking dish. Make a layer of sliced banana and chopped dates. Add the other half of the mixture on top.
- Mix Crumb topping ingredients in bowl until well combined and sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake cake in oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Take out of oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes before slicing up.