Tuvalu is located in the continent of Oceania / Australia. It has Kiribati to the north, Tokelau to the east, Wallis and Futuna to the south, Vanuatu to the southwest, the Solomon Islands to the west and Nauru to the northwest.
The de facto capital is the village of Vaiaku (official is Funafuti Atoll).
The is no official language.
The climate is temperate with the average rainfall at 100” in the north and 125” in the south. Daytime temperatures range from 80-85 F.
The staples are coconuts, breadfruit, pandanus, taro, bananas, pigs, chickens, and fish. Most of their food is imported.
TUVALU TUNA (http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/tuvalu-tuna/):
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- One Thai bird chili pepper (Optional)
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 4 green onions
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut lengthwise and sliced
- 2-4 TBSP soy sauce, to taste
- 1 lb tuna steaks, raw, cubed
- Heat up some vegetable oil into a large skillet or wok.
- Cook the onions over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, red chilies (if using), and curry powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook until fragrant.
- Next, stir in the coconut milk, green onion, and cucumber.
- Season with soy sauce to taste.
- Add the tuna.
- Cook until tuna is done to preference.
- Serve with rice (coconut rice would be even more authentic).
EASY COCONUT RICE (https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2016/04/easy-coconut-rice/):
- 2 C jasmine rice
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 + ½ C of water
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a medium sized pot, rinse the jasmine rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain any excess water and add the coconut milk, water, salt and sugar.
- On high heat, allow the mixture to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.
COCONUT PUDDING (A Sweet Island Dessert) (https://www.internationalcuisine.com/coconut-pudding/):
- Two 14oz cans unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ C cornstarch
- 1 C sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 coconuts, cut in half for serving
- In a medium size saucepan add in all the ingredients and cook over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until the sugar and cornstarch is dissolved.
- Keep stirring until the mixture starts to boil, thicken and is smooth.
- Remove from heat and place in a covered bowl into the refrigerator for about 1 hour until chilled.
- When you are ready to serve, prepare your coconuts if using as a serving vessel.
- Scoop the coconut pudding into the coconuts and serve.